Thursday, April 1, 2010

Did I mention that we're having a baby?

Yep, you read that right. We're having a baby!!!! And we couldn't be more excited! I've been meaning to post our good news for a little while but with the end of the semester I haven't gotten around to it until now.

We actually found out two months ago today. A few days before my period was supposed to come I started having these battles in my head, "I bet I'm pregnant. I know I am." and then, "No, I don't feel like I'm pregnant yet. I'd probably be sick or something." Then back to, "Maybe I do feel a little bit different." And then, "There's no way."

The thoughts were driving me so crazy that I stopped by the store and bought a pregnancy test. I'm not sure why, but I didn't want to tell Duncan about it. I wasn't sure how I would feel if it came back negative, so I wanted to keep it to myself for a little bit, just in case you know? When I got home I started reading the box and learned that the test is way more accurate if you wait until your missed period, but how is a girl supposed to wait that long for such a big piece of information?? I decided to take it the next morning. There were two tests in the box, so if it came back negative and I still missed my period I could always try again later. . . After hiding the test in the dryer I went to bed and tried to get some sleep.

The next morning Dunc was in the shower when I snuck the test out of the drier and gave it a go. It came back positive! I couldn't believe it! I was in shock! I started shaking all over and let out a little squeal. This is how my conversation went with Duncan:

D: Are you okay??
L: (Too in shock to say anything.)
D: Liz, are you okay? Is there a spider or something? Do you need me to come kill it?
L: Get that soap out of your eyes.
D: Why did you just squeal?
L: Just open your eyes!
D: Just a sec.
L: Hurry!
D: (Seeing the stick in my hand) What's that??
L: Baaaabe. Look at it! It's a pregnancy test!
D: Oh my gosh!!! You're pregnant! Are you serious? Is this some kind of trick?

Neither of us could believe it!!


I spent the next few weeks super paranoid that I wasn't actually prego or that I was going to have a miscarriage or something, so when the first doctor's appointment came and we got to see our baby's heartbeat it was such a huge relief for me! I've never been a big worrier (that's Duncan's job) so I don't know why I was so worried about it. Maybe it was the pregnancy hormones.

Anyway, things are going great and I am due on October 19!! I haven't really been sick at all and am feeling so lucky! Hopefully that's a good sign for the rest of the pregnancy.


Here is our first picture of the little guy or girl:

I'm pretty sure you can already tell what a great looking baby we're going to have. :) We're so excited and already can't wait for this baby to get here!

11 comments:

Spencer said...

While this isn't new news to me it is still great news! Syd and I claim babysitting rights.

Shawn said...

Tell Spencer he can only babysit when I'm not in town! I missed this post somehow and didn't notice you had posted until just now. So fun to hear the details!

Unknown said...

Congrats Liz! That's awesome. The best part of this story is how you hid the pregnancy test in the dryer, being sure it's the last place Duncan would look. I guess all us men are alike, we hate to do laundry.

Anonymous said...

Cute story! Congrats you guys!! You will be great parents. We love you and miss you!!

Brittani said...

congrats! that is so exciting!!

Brian said...

woot woot!! You know we can't wait! We're already obsessed with Baby Glenn!!

Hurricane Hansens said...

Can I babysit the next generation?

CONGRATS!!!!

The Pantones said...

Dibs on Godmother :)

Kari, Alex, and I love the picture of you two. Dunc looks...uh... a little shocked ;) We're so excited for you guys! Congrats!

erin said...

LIZ! aahhhh! im so excited for you! i didn't know you had a blog by the way. I have a blog too, i just suck at updating it. anyway, YAY!

Jamie said...

I somehow missed this for a long time, but I just wanted to say how super excited I am for you too! Thanks for making Mikey a cousin. Can't wait to find out if he's a he or she's a she! By the time you have your baby, I'll be an expert mom, so feel free to call for advice :) jk

The Foys said...

Hey Liz my name is Brittney and I've been friends with the Glenn's for like, almost 15 years! Jamie is my bestest friend in the whole wide world! I just wanted to say congrats to you and Duncan! What an awesome time in your lives! I just had my second baby and couldn't be happier :0) Being a Mom is awesome. Even though I've never met you, I've only heard great things about you and am so happy for you two!