Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Marriage

Right now I'm sharing a table in the Tanner Building with this married couple. They are so funny. This is the conversation they've had over the last half hour while I've been here:

Husband: That test was awful.
Wife: ------------------- (Nothing).

5 minutes later:
W: I'm starving!
H: Me too.
Silence.

5 minutes later:
H: What me to go downstairs and see what they have to eat?
W: ------------------
H: Do you want me to go get some food?
W: Yeah, I'm starving.
H: Okay, I'll go down and see what they have and then call you see what you want.
W: No.
H: Why not?
W: I already know what I want.
H: What do you want?
W: A sandwich.
H: Like a cold sandwich?
W: I don't know.
H: Okay, I'll go down and see what they have and then call you.
W: Don't call me. I won't answer.
H: You wouldn't be that cold would you?
W: -----------------

5 minutes later:
H: Okay, I'm going downstairs, I'll just call you when I see what they have.
W: Wait, read my article before you go. (She's been typing this article since I've been there.)
H: I'm just gonna go and I'll read it when I get back.
W: No. Then I won't have time to fix it.
H: Well if I don't go get food now, we won't have time to eat it. And I need to finish my cover letter.
W: But then I won't have time to fix my article!

Husband proceeds to read the article.
H: That was a good article.
W: How good?
H: Really good.
W: Not better than good?
H: It was an amazing article!
W: Good.
H: Okay, I'll call you when I get down there.
W: No! I won't answer.
H: Then what do you want?
W: A sandwich.
H: I don't know what kind. What kind do you want?
W: Just pick one for me. Don't talk to me.

Husband goes downstairs, comes back with two sandwiches and two drinks. He puts one sandwich and drink in front of his wife.
W: Eww. I don't want that one.
H: But you told me just to choose! Here you can have mine.
W: Takes husband's sandwich.
H: (Quietly) Yuck, I hate mushrooms and they put sauce on it.
W: Do you want this one?
H: No, I'll just eat this. So how's the article coming?
W: Don't talk to me.

Ha ha ha I loved this conversation. The girl was being such a brat to her husband and they were not communicating at all. It's funny to see other dysfunctional marriages/communication issues and be so grateful for my husband who puts up with so much crap from me. Hopefully I'm never as much of a brat as this girl was being! Isn't marriage funny sometimes?

P.S. Thanks for the advice about getting a masters. It's really nice to hear what other women have to say about it!

6 comments:

marshall and chelsea said...

haha That is so funny! That guy is either a trooper or he did something really bad to make his wife that mad at him! haha Marriage is so fun!

Jaime Escalante said...

I think the funniest part of that is that you were sitting at a nearby computer typing down everything they said and they had no idea. HA HA!!! Good stuff.

Shawn said...

That's some dang funny stuff! I've been freaked out busy this week so I didn't see your Master's post until just now. Education is always a good thing but so are kids so I'm afraid I'm not much help. One idea might be to stick with the bachelor's degree, then if you HAVE to work in the future, a lot of companies will pay for you to get a Master's degree while you are working. But we are behind you 100% also if you want to get it now. See, I told you I'm not much help, but I try. :)

Nicea said...

You see now, Liz dear, that I'm way more help than Shawn. Get your master's. :) (Of course, it's her job as the mother-in-law to be objective and present both sides then let you make your own decision. Like I said, it's HER job. :) (Lots o' smiles in this comment.)

Hi, Shawn.

And the marriage dialogue above is hilarious, like Jamie said, because they didn't know they were being watched. Ha. Love it!

megan... said...

I was laughing so hard when I read this that I just read it out loud to bobby. Wow. That is good stuff!

erin said...

haha oh man this is funny. marriage is funny sometimes.