Sunday, November 9, 2014

Lots of Halloween Fun All Crammed into One Post

I think we can call this Halloween a success!  We got plenty of use out of our costumes and I was burned out before we even got to Halloween night.  I love all the fun Halloween activities and this year we pretty much did them all.  We went with a Little Red Riding Hood theme for our family this year.  Mya - Little Red (of course), Owen - the woodsman, Liz - the granny, Dunc - the wolf.

Trial Run
A few days before our first Halloween party I decided to get Owen dressed up to see how his costume would come together.  This first picture is pretty much my favorite.

He actually loved his costume and has asked to wear it a few times since Halloween.  "Owen costume.  Owen beard."

My mom hooked me up with a costume yet again.  Apparently she keeps this old lady costume around for random needs like primary and young women?  I sent this picture to Dunc to see if he'll still like me when I'm old and grey.  He loved the costume.  No answer as to whether or not he will still like me. :)

Landon and Kendra's Halloween Party
First up on our Halloween agenda was the annual party at Landon and Kendra's house.  We love this party and look forward to it every year!  We don't get to see Duncan's cousins very often so it's always fun to get together with them.  On top of that, Landon and Kendra never throw a small party.  This one was complete with bounce house, pinatas, tons of small children, and lots of good food.  We had a blast and the kids did not want to leave when it was over.





Carving Pumpkins
We conned my parents into coming over for FHE before Halloween again this year to help us carve pumpkins.  I think this is the third year they have come - three years makes a tradition right?  There's no getting out of it now!  We love having them come over to help us get ready for Halloween.  My sister conveniently showed up after the pumpkins were finished, but we were happy to have her there too.

sI was quite proud of my stag and mummy pumpkins, but Mya and Dunc's Cheshire Cat was the star of the show.

My dad had to leave early for church meetings, but he did clean his fair share of pumpkins before he left.  We are lucky to have my parents so close.  Thanks for all your help mom and dad!

Grandpa and Gradma's House
A few days before Halloween I got the kids all decked out in their costumes and headed to meet up with my mom, Allison, and Lyla at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

Little did we know that my 92 year old Grandpa was also getting all decked out in his costume too!  I was laughing so hard when I saw him.  We sure love that pumpkin!

Both of my grandparents were school teachers back in the day and Halloween was a big deal for them for a lot of years.  It was so fun to see my grandpa dressed up and listen to Grandma singing all the Halloween songs with Mya.


And just for the record, it is just as hard to get Grandpa to look at the camera as it is to get the kids looking at it.

Chocolate and an apple.  You can see which was his favorite.

Gardner Village
After visiting my grandparents we headed over to Gardner Village to see all the witches.




Isn't this picture the best?? I love those happy faces.

Mya driving the wagon.

They really do love her.  As long as she doesn't put her arms around them.

Nothing like a little Sombrero wearing, bearded, lumberjack witch!



Preschool Party and Neighbor Party
I got to help out with Mya's preschool Halloween party this year and had a blast being around those cute and crazy kids for a little bit.

Apparently Little Red Riding Hood talked Elsa out of her crown for this one.

Singing their Halloween songs.  It has been so fun to hear all the fun things Mya is learning in preschool.  I love all the new songs, stories, etc. that I get to learn from her.

Right after the preschool party we headed to Brittany's house for a little Halloween party with some neighbors.  Brittany is seriously super woman - always planning fun and activities for the kids.  We live in the best neighborhood and I love that there are so many friends for my kids to play with.

Halloween Day
As previously mentioned I was pretty burned out by the time Halloween morning came around.  I had big plans to get the kids dressed up in their costumes to go and visit my Nana but when it came down to it I just didn't have the energy.  I kept trying to think of something fun for us to do before naps but wasn't coming up with much.  My mom came to the rescue and texted me a little before lunch time to see what we were up to.  Somehow she was on the same wave length as me and came to pick us up for a fun little Halloween lunch at Crown Burger.

I loved doing lunch with this cute witch

and this handsome wolf.  This might need to become a new Halloween tradition - an easy and fun way to celebrate before all the fun of that night.


Halloween Night
Did I mention that we live in a great neighborhood??  My friend Kenzie arranged for the World's Greatest Corn Dogs truck to come to our street on Halloween night before trick or treating.  We had corn dogs, treats, fire pits, and gathering places to hang out.  It was a fun excuse to get together with neighbors before taking the kids trick or treating.

Owen was so funny just chillin' in this little chair.  He looked like a twenty something year old lounging in his camp chair.


My mom is so funny.  She has always hated Halloween but apparently got over the hatred this year.  She borrowed this costume from a neighbor and showed up at the street party wearing it.  She got so many laughs and even had random people taking her picture.  It was hilarious.  And in case you haven't guessed it, the poor lost dog has been sat on and is stuck to her rear.  Well played Mom!

The kids made a good haul and had a blast trick of treating! 

Time to start thinking about costumes for next year...

No comments: