I have been pretty hesitant to talk about Mya’s cleft lip up to now, but for some reason I feel like sharing today. So while this post is mostly for me, I know that a lot of you are interested in Mya’s upcoming surgery and might find it interesting, but long.
Mya’s surgery is two weeks from today and yes, I am worried about it. I’ve had a few dreams about it and a few more day dreams about it. I’m sure that everything will go great. But it’s kinda scary to let some doctors you don’t even know take your beautiful little babe and put her under the knife! Having said that, Dunc and I both feel really good about the doctor we chose and he comes highly recommended from a few of his former patients. If you're interested in seeing some before and after pictures of cleft surgeries he has done, click this link: http://kidswithcleftsutah.blogspot.com/search/label/Dr.%20Morales. I'll warn you that some of the pictures are a little bit alarming (including the blog header).
It’s hard to tell what Mya’s lip will look like after because I feel like all of the before and after pictures I can find are of kids with much more severe clefts. The one thing I don’t want is for Mya to go through this whole surgery and then have her lip look worse than it did in the first place. While we think Mya is just gorgeous and the most beautiful baby around, we hope that when she gets older she won’t have to be self-conscious about her cleft lip and that it won’t affect the way people interact with her. I know that her cleft is comparatively minor, and it’s not a huge deal, but I also know that kids and teenagers can be pretty ruthless and I don’t want her to have to deal with teasing or not feeling confident.
Mya’s surgery is two weeks from today and yes, I am worried about it. I’ve had a few dreams about it and a few more day dreams about it. I’m sure that everything will go great. But it’s kinda scary to let some doctors you don’t even know take your beautiful little babe and put her under the knife! Having said that, Dunc and I both feel really good about the doctor we chose and he comes highly recommended from a few of his former patients. If you're interested in seeing some before and after pictures of cleft surgeries he has done, click this link: http://kidswithcleftsutah.blogspot.com/search/label/Dr.%20Morales. I'll warn you that some of the pictures are a little bit alarming (including the blog header).
It’s hard to tell what Mya’s lip will look like after because I feel like all of the before and after pictures I can find are of kids with much more severe clefts. The one thing I don’t want is for Mya to go through this whole surgery and then have her lip look worse than it did in the first place. While we think Mya is just gorgeous and the most beautiful baby around, we hope that when she gets older she won’t have to be self-conscious about her cleft lip and that it won’t affect the way people interact with her. I know that her cleft is comparatively minor, and it’s not a huge deal, but I also know that kids and teenagers can be pretty ruthless and I don’t want her to have to deal with teasing or not feeling confident.
When the doctors finally brought Mya over to me in the operating room after she was born the first thing I remember thinking was, “What’s wrong with her lip?” I still feel horrible that those words came anywhere close to my mind the first time I saw my perfect baby girl. It was so hard for me to tell my family and friends about her lip, and I felt like I needed to warn everyone that came to visit so they wouldn’t be alarmed when they first saw her. It was really hard for me. I knew that Mya was perfect, but I was worried about what everyone else would think of her. I am so grateful for awesome family and friends who helped me feel like Mya was the most beautiful baby they had ever seen and who were so supportive during that time of insecurity for me. I remember one day when my sweet sister-in-law told me that she had been showing off pictures of Mya to a girl in her class. It made me feel so good that she would want to show off my daughter, even with her imperfect lip.
I don’t even notice Mya’s cleft anymore and it’s only when I see pictures from certain angles that I remember she has that little imperfection. It makes me wonder why I’m having surgery done to change the looks of my baby who is already so cute. But then I remember those feelings of insecurity and those are feelings I never want Mya to have about herself. I hope that after her surgery the only thing she’ll have to worry about is a couple small scars.
For the first while (I’m not sure exactly how long) after the surgery Mya will have to wear what is called a “Logan’s bow” taped to her face to keep the surgical site from getting damaged. Here is a picture of what that looks like:
She’ll also have to wear fabric arm restraints for three to four weeks to make sure that she doesn’t touch her lip after the surgery. I think that will be hard for Mya because she LOVES to be moving all the time, and she especially loves to suck on her hands. From what I’ve read, they basically just keep the baby’s arms from bending at all so she won't be able to touch her face, but there are other kinds that keep the arms pinned to a little diaper cover.
We’re told that she won’t be able to use her binky for a month, but she should be able to breastfeed unless it’s too painful for her. If that doesn’t work, we get to resort to dripping milk down her throat with a syringe like we did the first few days after Mya was born (NOT FUN).
I’ve read a few accounts of moms that have gone through the actual surgery process before and it’s nice to know what’s coming, but also not nice because then you worry about it more beforehand. I think the hardest parts will be handing her over to the doctors, especially if she’s crying and just wants her mom, and when she wakes up from surgery in pain, confused, and sad. It’s the worst to have a crying child when there is not a lot you can do to help them.
I really shouldn’t complain when there are so many moms that go through this and more difficult situations. We are so lucky that Mya only has the cleft lip and not the cleft palate which entails so much more. Most likely this will be the only surgery she will have to get, but she might have one more when she is 6 or 7 to make some minor adjustments. We’re definitely shooting for just this one.
In the long run, I know that it’s the right thing to get this surgery and I know that everything will be just fine. But in the mean time, would you please send up some prayers for our little baby and her parents? We could definitely use them!


17 comments:
Liz, Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will definitely pray for you guys. And the looks will be great, she is already so stinking adorable-doctors are amazing and have Heavenly Father guiding their every move. Let me know how it goes
Our prayers will be with you. It is amazing the pain moms feel for their children. You cannot explain this to anyone who hasn't had kids. Just know you will be blessed with peace.
This is really a lovely post and it will be so precious to your little Mya when she grows up and can understand all that she and you will have gone through when the repairs are all over.
The apparatus the doctors use post-op looks so big and heavy in the photo you posted, but in the pictures of the babies with it on, it doesn't look half bad.
Miss Liz,
I think you and your little gal are adorable. She is already a beauty, and I'm afraid of how cute she is going to be after!:) We will be praying for your cute little family. Love ya girl!
mya is a beautiful little girl and good luck for the upcoming months. i don't know if you know us but we are from Duncan's home stake. The Blomdals
im glad you wrote about this. its good to share things and hopefully with doing so you will hear of someone who has gone through the same thing. our prayers are with you! everything will go perfect. doctors are amazing and they will take care of you and your precious little girl.
I'm going to miss that cute little lip. I'm excited to see you guys next week!
Thank you for sharing.
I've been there- our Ben had brain surgery when he was 11 days old. Yes, it's a little disturbing watching your little one be wheeling away with I.V.'s and vitals machines with total strangles. BUT we had such peace. Prayers will be offered and I'm sure you'll feel it. Also such peace can come from priesthood blessings.
Our neighbor's little girl had kind-of the same thing but it was the side of her lip. Little Sophie had surgery as a baby and again as a toddler. Let me know if you want to talk with her mom Emily.
Love and prayers,
Mary
Love you three! We're praying for Mya (and I'm especially praying for you Liz). Know that you're loved!
This made me cry. It is beautifully written and I just want you to know that I have already been sending up prayers for all of you. I will put your names in that special place where I work too. It will all be fine, but you will need the extra help from above. And you will get it. Sending love from CA.
I had to go get tissue 3 times while reading this.... Liz you're an amazing mom! Mya is beautiful and we send our love and prayers your way!!
Liz,
It was the first time reading your blog and you made me cry, you are an amazing mom and Mya is a lucky girl to have you.
She is a BEAUTIFUL little girl and we will be praying for her, you and Duncan.
I've been thinking about Miss Mya...and you, Mama Liz...I'm glad you took the time to write down your thoughts. I think you will like to have them to look back on down the road. And, you know what, Mya will be able to get a small glimpse of the love that you have for her. I know that Mya's surgery will go great. She is just so lucky to have such amazing parents.
Oh, and just so you know...when I met Mya for the first time, I honestly thought she was the most BEAUTIFUL little girl. I remember leaving the hospital thinking about you saying, "She has a cleft lip" and realizing that her little spirit was so strong that she seemed to just glow. That small 'imperfection' was not even on my radar. I just kept thinking about how, as a mother, it is much harder on you because you want so badly to protect your baby from anything and anyone. I also thought that it took an amazingly strong mother to acknowledge that fact. (Especially since it was the day after you had her.) I'm sure every time you said it, there was some pain behind those words. But, you are one of the strongest women I know and Mya is following right along in your footsteps. You're in my prayers! Let's get together pre-surgery!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Liz. You are such a great mom and wife and sister-in-law! I know you already know this, but Mya is the most gorgeous baby girl, and just gets more beautiful every day. I am seriously in love with her. You and Duncan are such great parents to her and I know that everything will go well, and that you two will be able to help her through recovery. Heavenly Father loves us and looks out for us all the time and knows exactly when we need His mercy most, and this is one of those times for your family. Praying for you all and loving you!!!
We will be praying for you and your sweet Mya! We love you all and hope you know that we are thinking of you!
She is so beautiful Liz! I hope that her surgery goes well! I can't even imagine what it would be like to send your little baby into the OR. It would tear me up! You will be in my prayers!
Liz, I love looking at your blog because Mya is just the most ADORABLE, pretty little baby. I would love to come visit sometime, it would be great to meet her! xoxo
Post a Comment